5150asforums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5150asforums

Censorship, Corrupt Mods and Snitches. This ain't Cameldog!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jon Fitch Interview

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dean of Lean

Dean of Lean

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Jon Fitch Interview Empty
PostSubject: Jon Fitch Interview   Jon Fitch Interview Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 2:46 am

http://www.aroundtheoctagon.com/?p=1124

What have you been up to since UFC 94?

I’m training. I was hoping to be done with that fight and get out and fight again but for some reason I haven’t got a fight yet. I don’t know what the reasoning is but we’re still trying to get a fight booked.

What did you think when you saw Gono’s entrance at UFC 94?

I was in the back we were both in the staging area. We were standing next to each other. I kept looking at the ground trying not to pay attention to what was going on because I didn’t want to start laughing before I went out there. I buried my head. I didn’t want to watch.

It was funny, the funniest part about it was in between rounds I remember sitting there and looking up and someone was wearing a dress running in and out of the cagen. He had a t-shirt on over the top of it and a miniskirt it was distracting to say the least.

Did you say anything to him after the fight about it?

He’s known for doing funny stuff like that. I did talk to him before the fight but it was mostly about training at each others camps.

How did you get started in MMA? I know you wrestled at Purdue.

Tom Erikson was one of my coaches at Purdue he is a known fighter. He has fought over in Japan. He was fighting and got me interested. He got me out to California and that’s how it started.

You almost were on the first season of The Ultimate Fighter didn’t you?

Yeah, I was at the airport with my bags on the plane getting ready to leave and I got a call about ten minutes before boarding and they told me not to go.

How did that process go? Did they recruit you?

Word got around they were talking about doing a reality show. They didn’t even know if it was going to be on TV. They were just going to shoot it. The UFC contacted the gym and told them what they were doing and had us come in and do interviews. I was under the impression we would go in there an do drills. It was purely based on personality and I guess I didn’t have enough personality to be on there.

One of your first losses is against Wilson Gouviea would you like to get in the octagon with him and avenge that loss?

That fight doesn’t really matter very much. He’s a big guy and he’s gotten bigger. Iwas not even close to the fighter I am now. Maybe in a few years it will be appealing. Who knows?

What do you remember about fighting Brock Larson at your first UFC show?

It was exciting to fight in the UFC. I got an opportunity when someone pulled out short notice. Luckily it was a Fight Night and it was a smaller show like I was used to. It was less stress because it didn’t have the big show feel to it.

How big was the in over Diego Sanchez?

It was big. He was the first big name opponent that I beat and it really establish myself in our weightclass as one of the dominant guys.

What did you think of his comments when he said that you didn’t hurt him?

Whatever he says I can say I won the fight. He didn’t hurt me. I think he’s a good fighter. He’ll do well at 155.

What are your thoughts on the fight with GSP looking back?

He’s a great fighter and he’s the best right now. I made some mistakes early that cost me the entire fight. It’s hard to take damage that early like I did and continue to do well. I managed to stick out the entire fight but it’s hard to beat that guy when you’re not 100%

How many more wins do you think you need to get a rematch with him?

I don’t know. That’s why I’m a little upset because I’m not fighting again since my last fight. I was looking to fight a buch this year because he’s going to be busy with Thiago. I’d like to get about four or five fights in and when he’s free maybe we could fight again. I don’t know how they are going to build that fight or if they are. I don’t event know when I’m going to fight again.

Matt Hughes came out recently and said that St. Pierre felt greasy what are your thoughts did he feel greasy to you?

I didn’t notice anything like that. To be honest for the past few years everyone I’ve fought has felt greasy. I didn’t feel anything different than anyone else.

It’s kind of a cop-out. I’ll never say I lost because…Even if they are greasy If you’re a real mixed martial artist you’ll find a way to overcome that.

Would you ever drop to 155 or move up in weight to challenge for a belt?

I’d never make 155. You’d have to cut both of my legs off. Maybe when I’m on the downside of my career I might move up. I’m really happy at 170. I think it is the toughest weight class. I’m going to stay here a while.

You’ve fought Thiago Alves and GSP. Who do you pick to win?

I’m not big on picking fights but GSP has a lot of tools to use in that fight. Thiago has gotten a lot better since I fought him but I think GSP has the advantage and I hope he wins to because he’s the guy I’d want to beat for the title.

Do you think Koscheck’s fight with Paulo Thiago should’ve been stopped?

Honestly no. From what I saw his getting dropped like that was no different than me getting dropped twice against GSP. You’ve got to give them at least one or two punches on the ground to see how he reacts. He got knocked down then he started to sit up. Then as Thiago went forward he layed back down. It was a conscious decision to not stand up. That’s intelligent fighting and it shouldn’t have been stopped.

Would you ever fight Koscheck or Swick if they were champions?

It’s not a fight worth taking. People say we’re friends but even if we are enemies it wouldn’t make sense because of the team aspect. We have a team training mentality here it at AKA. You could do two things in that situatiion. For those two fighting you have to laugh at it and train together the whole camp with the same trainers or remove one of us from the camp. Someone would have to leave. How do you decide who gets to train with who and when? Why tear apart a team. We’ve built something really good at AKA why tear the team apart for one fight. It’s not like it’s a 30 million dollar payday.

You’ve beaten a lot of good fighters who gave you the toughest time?

Jeff Joslin gave me a lot of trouble. Roan Carneiro was tough. He’s very controlling guy. He controlled me the first round in that fight. Actually they are all tough guys. None of those fights were easy.

Is there anybody out there you’d like to fight?

If I could fight anyone I’d fight myself. I bet I’d win (laughs). There’s really no better way to determine how good of a fighter you are than to fight yourself.

How did you pick Johnny Cash for your walkout music? You don’t hear a lot of country in the UFC.

I don’t think he’s country. It’s just good music. It was a perfect fit. I’ve been a big Cash fan since I was 7 I think when I first heard “A Boy Named Sue.” I head his version of Rusty Cage and I thought it fit perfect. I got a lot of positive feedback from my fans so we kept it.

What did your family think when you told them you wanted to pursue MMA professionally?

They were very supportive when I finally told them. But I fought for three years before I told my parents. I was coming from an educated background. I graduated from college and had a degree. It’s not a common thing especially six or seven years ago when I graduated. That was before the big MMA fan. No one knew what MMA was. You had to explain it to them. You can’t say hey Mom, Dad I’m not going to be a teacher. I’m going to fight on the weekends for a few hundred dollars. That wouldn’t go over well. To eliminate my stress I told them
I was teaching private lessons and doing jiu jitsu for fun in California until I made it into the UFC. That’s when I told them.

They were happy I was being successful and I was happy doing it. They didn’t have to see me suffer and barely having money to eat. It made it easy for them to be supportive.

Do they enjoy watching you fight?

Yeah they come to all my fights. It’s like a family vacation. A lot of guys have a rockstar mentality when they fight. When I go out and fight I have all my friends and family there. I don’t have an afterparty I have an afterfight dinner with my friends and family.

Does your mom have a hard time watching you get hit?

She gets pretty stressed out. I have my girlfriend sit with her and take care of her. I’ve been giving her minor heartattacks all my life. I was suprised she was excited about it and wants to come out to all my fights. My family takes pictures of her when I’m fighting to see how stressed out she it. When I was in high school they got the opposing team’s cameramen to film her while I was wrestling. It was hilarious.

How cool is it to have your picture on a UFC trading card?

I think it’s a good idea to generate some revenue and get some names out there.

Did you ever think you’d have your own card?

Oh yes, I was convinced growing up I was going to be a professional football player it’s just the wrong sport. I thought I was going to be the Middle Linebacker for the Bears.

Is that your team?

The Colts are my team, the Bears are #2 because I’m from Indiana. I grew up watching the Colts losing every Sunday. When I was little COLTS stood for Count On Losing This Sunday. I was still a fan but in that region if you grew up and weren’t a fan of the Bears something was wrong.

What’s the hardest thing to cut out of your diet when you are cutting weight?

I like sweets. Chubby Hubby is pretty damn good ice cream. It’s hard to put away.

Do your buddies give you a hard time when you are cutting weight?

No, they are pretty good. Here we are all fighters. My girlfriend won’t eat ice cream in front of me. When I’m cutting weight she goes on a mini diet.

What do you like to do when you aren’t training?

I play a lot of video games. I hang out at the beach. I enjoy traveling. I like to hang out with my girlfriend and my dog.
Back to top Go down
Keeler Squeed

Keeler Squeed

Number of posts : 97

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch Interview   Jon Fitch Interview Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Dean, I've been modded here, so it's my duty to let you know that your thread is inappropriate. Only Kazja-related threads are allowed in the MMA Discussion section. Please edit your post to include no less than 3 referencees to Kazja, MatRat, or Tapout Taco.

Thanks,
squeed
Back to top Go down
jarwillie

jarwillie

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch Interview   Jon Fitch Interview Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Keeler Squeed wrote:
Dean, I've been modded here, so it's my duty to let you know that your thread is inappropriate. Only Kazja-related threads are allowed in the MMA Discussion section. Please edit your post to include no less than 3 referencees to Kazja, MatRat, or Tapout Taco.

Thanks,
squeed

This is simply not true.

I am making a thread about it in the mod booth.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2008-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch Interview   Jon Fitch Interview Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 9:46 pm

jarwillie wrote:
Keeler Squeed wrote:

Thanks,
squeed

This is simply not true.

I am making a thread about it in the mod booth.

You are an idiot for fighting with Keller in public, say anything you want to him in the Mod Booth, faggot!
Back to top Go down
https://5150forums.darkbb.com
Keeler Squeed

Keeler Squeed

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch Interview   Jon Fitch Interview Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 10:12 pm

Jon Fitch Interview 974738
Back to top Go down
jarwillie

jarwillie

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch Interview   Jon Fitch Interview Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 10:50 pm

what's going on here?
Back to top Go down
Keeler Squeed

Keeler Squeed

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch Interview   Jon Fitch Interview Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 11:39 am

You're getting pwnt right off the interwebs.
Back to top Go down
jarwillie

jarwillie

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch Interview   Jon Fitch Interview Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:44 pm

alright.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jon Fitch Interview   Jon Fitch Interview Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jon Fitch Interview
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
5150asforums :: General Discussion :: Lighthearted MMA Discussion-
Jump to: